We have been hard at work! Here is another great science unit for Grades 4/5. Our first unit on Habitats and Communities and Human Organ Systems was a great success. With great feedback from other teachers, we know that you find our products engaging, thorough and distinguished!
This new unit is a cross curricular Gr. 4/5 Science Unit which allows teachers to meet the Ontario Science curriculum expectations all the while teaching a split grade! Our science unit: Pulleys and Gears (4) & Forces Acting Upon Structures and Mechanisms(5) combines the following overall big ideas:
- Machines, mechanisms, and structures are designed to improve efficiency or simplify tasks
- Forces act on and within structures and mechanisms
- Mechanical systems have various impacts on society and the environment
Our Lessons include the following:
- Learning centres: students work in small groups or individually to rotate between four centres over the course of the activity (four types of centre activities: technology, reading/writing activity, creative response, and a fun or hands-on activity);
- Whole class lesson/discussion followed by either small group activities or whole class activity
Our unit is cross-curricular and integrates the following subjects:
- Language Arts (Reading, Writing, Oral Communication, Media Literacy)
- 21st Century Learning
We have many activities that are both engaging and active. Differentiated instruction is also key and diverse assessment methods are incorporated. We hope you find this unit useful for your classroom.
Here is a preview of our Gr 4/5 Science Unit. Click on the picture above and you will be taken right to the full product!