Title:Checking our Pulse!
Subject/Grade: Phys.Ed/ Grade 5
Time Duration: Approx. 45-60 min.
Overview: Teaching students to understand the importance of checking our pulse regularly, beginning with knowing how to locate our pulse and how to check/record our pulse both before and after completing exercises.
By the end of Grade 5, students will:
· Identify the components of physical fitness and describe physical activities that improve these components
- participate vigorously in all aspects of the program (e.g. gymnastic stations or fitness circuit)
- describe the components of physical fitness and relate each component to an appropriate physical activity (e.g. cardiorespiratory – skipping; muscle endurance-abdominal crunches; muscle strength- push-ups; flexibility-sit and reach);
- assess their progress in fitness – enhancing activities at regular intervals (e.g. weekly monitoring of their pulses before and after running or completing exercise circuits)
For each student: Other:
- jump rope – stop watches
- chart to record pulse/ pencil – warm-up task sheet- ‘Mission Possible’ (1 for each group)
- station numbers w/ corresponding exercise
Activities and Procedures:
Warm-up exercise: We will begin with a group warm-up activity called ‘Mission Possible’.
Lesson- Checking our Pulse: We will introduce a short lesson about locating our pulse and checking/recording our pulse both before and after completing exercises.
Follow-up Exercises: We will engage in 5 short follow-up exercises supporting our lesson about ‘checking our pulse’ both before and after completing exercises. Students will begin to recognize and understand the difference between our regular pulse and our pulse after engaging in physical activity.
(1) Crunches (2) Jumping jacks (3) Push-ups (4) Skipping rope (5) Laps of the gym
Model/demonstrate each exercise; Check/record pulse before and after completing each exercise; walk once around the gym in between each exercise, and lay down for 1 minute, so to slow down our pulse for next exercise.
Cool-down: Join together at the rest station. Reflect on what we learned and share personal observations. This will give students an opportunity to get their pulses back to normal (can check it one last time to conclude, so to understand and notice the changes in our pulse at all levels).